CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, March 24, 2008

Old habits die hard.

I hate cleaning. I have this problem, and I come by it honestly, but everything has to be perfect. Especially when it comes to cleaning. I can't help it. While growing up, our chores would undergo a thorough inspection. If mom found that you tried to cheat by dusting AROUND the base of the lamp on your nightstand, rather then picking it up and dusting under it, you had to redo it. If you were drinking a glass of water and set it down on the counter, you must be finished with it. Because if you were to go back to that same glass of water, you would only find it in the dishwasher. I have done this to Bruce more times than I care to imagine. So, I told him, "If you are still planning to use this cup, put it to the left of the sink, then I'll know not to put it in the dishwasher." He is really good about putting it to the left of the sink, and I am really good about putting it directly in the dishwasher.
It takes me my ENTIRE day off to clean our small apartment. By the time I wipe down all the floors, dust, vacuum, clean the kitchen and bathroom, push the laundry through and fold it (sometime refold it), Bruce is home from a long day of work.
Can anyone help me? Not only do I wish I could allow someone to finish their drink, I wish I could allow a sink full of dishes appear, or for a few specks of dust to accumulate on our dresser. Maybe if I had kids or a project going on that would take my attention away from my compulsiveness. I will take advice from anyone. Thoughts? Ideas?

9 comments:

Alyssa & Bruce said...

Once again, I'm going to comment on my own post before anyone else does. I don't want anyone to think I am ashamed that I know how to clean. I would much rather know how to and be obsessive about it, than not know how to at all. So you see my dilemma.

natalie said...

I think we are all like our parents! I really don't mind being obsessive about it though! But I understand your dilemma too!

tara said...

Think of what a blessing it is for those around you. Yes, you may suffer being OCD, but I know I have on many occasions benefited from your slight mania. Think of it as a SERVICE toward your fellow men. We could use one less slob in this world.

BradandMelanie said...

Brad loved this post - to him, it describes "my issues" in "his mind". Yes, I clean up his plate before he is finished eating - it is annoying, I admit, and I too am working on it. I don't have any great advice, sorry, but I have certainly eased up a bit since having kids. It may "force" you to a bit when the time comes, who knows?

Lyndee said...

Alyssa, I am the same way. That is so funny. It drives my husband crazy. I have to say as I have had my kids I am a little bit better about it. One thing that has never changed is the kitchen. It always has to be clean. I think it is great to be like that. You may change as you have kids but the fact of the matter is you will always like things clean.

Miriam Herm said...

Alyssa! you're married! congratulations!

so i have the same problem. i fixed it by breaking everything up. monday i grocery shop, dryclean and costco. tuesday i do laundry. wednesday i clean the kitchen. thursday the bathrooms. friday i dust and vacuum and wipe down the couches.

good luck. it gets harder when you have kids.

Susan Mangus said...

Alyssa, I too, have the same problem. I think I learned it from MY mother, who learned it from HER mother. Let me know if you find a cure.

Unknown said...

Alyssa! It is great to hear from you! I came into your salon just yesterday looking for you!

Anonymous said...

Im glad you asked me to read your blog. Its cute! I love the pics!

This entry about the cleaning is just like me. I am fanatical about it. I have things on my counter from moving, papers and such I HAVE to get to this weekend or I may just go insane. Truly. Thats the only place thats not organized. That darned counter! :)

See you at work, my friend! :)